Earth Day is coming up [tomorrow, but you should think of every day as earth day] and it seems like all my TV stations have been going green of late. Well at least for the last week or two any way. They are all changing their station ID bugs [you know those stupid little logos in the corner of your screens and sometimes the entire bottom third of your screen]. They all have an eco-friendly or green skew to them. Which is a nice little reminder for all of us watching their shows to take time out to take the necessary steps towards saving our environment. [But I know next week it will all go back to the regular old logos.]
My favorite of these eco-friendly ads is The Captain Planet and the Planteers commercials I am seeing on the Cartoon Network. I remember watching this show way back when it first came out in 1989. The edu-tainment show was the brainchild of Ted Turnerâ€™s TBS, which was then taken over by Hanna-Barbera when TBS purchased them and the rest is enviro-history.
So take the time this April to get to know Captain Planet and the Planeteers and do something good from Mother Earth.
Here is a list of 10 things you can do to help from the Captain Planet Foundation:
- Start a Carpool or Walk or Bike to Work
- Get Involved [see Planet Green for more info]
- Be an Environmentally Conscious Consumer Buy Recycled/Recyclable Items
- Change Your Light Bulbs to Energy Saving Fluorescents
- Get Rid of Hazardous Waste Safely Don’t Send It to the Landfills
- Recycle, Recycle, Recycle
- Save Water by Checking the Location of Your Sprinklers and Turn Off Taps
- Take Reusable Bags to the Supermarket and Buy in Bulk
- Clean Up Wisely When Camping
- Use Natural Alternatives to Chemical Cleaners and Pesticides
Head to Hot Topic to pick up a Captain Planet t-shirt to wear while your out picking up trash, planting new trees or dropping off your recycling.